Starting in 1905, the Union Pacific Railroad used Kelso Depot in the Mojave Desert to add extra steam locomotives to trains approaching Kessler Summit. Later, in 1924, the railroad added a restaurant and hotel rooms for passengers. With the advent of diesel locomotives, the depot became obsolete. The site is now a museum.
This selection gets its name from the faulted, shifting and polyrhythmic accompaniment.
Named after the hot, dry and intense Southern California winds that blow in off the desert.